Saturday 18 May 2013

CRUELTY

He slapped me hard across the face.I scowled at him.

"Only this much?" he asked and held up the money that I had given him.

I scowled again.I'd never had even the slightest respect for him.I hated him.I had to tolerate him everyday.He tortured me.But still,I had to put up with him.After looking at both of us,who would say that he was my father?

He is a drunkard.He beats me everyday for no reason at all.He has never earned a penny by himself,as far as I know.I earn and he spends it all on his useless alcohol.I work in a restaurant,he spends it in a bar.

But,things were different when Mother was alive.I am thirteen years old now.Mother passed away when I was seven.Back then,I used to go to school.Mother used to earn for the family.Even at that time,he drank liquor.I still remember how brutally he used to beat Mother.

Once,he hit her with a stick.She cried.She begged for mercy.He didn't let her go.He hit her again.And again.And again.He hit her repeatedly.Several times.After that thrashing,Mother never woke up.I cried beside her bed for hours.I told him to take her to the hospital.He did not listen.The next day,we came to know that Mother had died.The monster had killed her.I could do nothing but cry...helplessly.

Right from the next day,he told me to go and find some work.He burned all my books.He told me that I wouldn't go to school anymore.I was terrified.He didn't even have the slightest regret for what he had done.I wondered how heartless a person could get.

I started serving tea in a restaurant nearby.I still do the same job.He snatches away all the money that I earn.I eat the leftovers from the same restaurant that I work in.The owner is a nice fellow.

When Mother was alive,she had made me promise that I would never ever touch alcohol.I have kept that promise.

Mother was a really nice woman.This brute...this monster.He spoiled my life.

"Only this much?" he repeated.He waved the money in my face.His breath reeked of booze,as always.

I remained silent.He raised his hand to slap me.

A resounding crack filled the air.He had slapped me across the cheek again with brute force.I wondered if the neighbours would come to my rescue like they have done on so many other occasions.But,they did not.

Another slap.I couldn't contain myself any longer.Anger surged through me and erupted out just like lava erupts from a volcano.

"I earn.You have no right to spend it on your alcohol.It is my hard-earned money.You haven't earned a penny in your whole life.You killed Mother.Now,you're all set to murder me.Aren't you?"I said,angrily.

Those words seemed to have some effect on his mind.His expression softened.But,he didn't answer me.

Even monsters have a heart;although it is made of stone,they do have one.I could say that from his expression.

"You are never going to understand me,"I told him."You never understood Mother.You just want money for your alcohol.You will never let me live in peace.Never."

With that,I left the room and walked away.

How long would my life continue like this?Would I ever be emancipated from this bondage?Would I ever be free?

4 comments:

  1. Fiction, eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good man, the stuff you write. Just don't forget to put spaces after full stops and commas.

    ReplyDelete