Wednesday 24 April 2013

CARTE BLANCHE

"But,why?"my friend demanded.

"Because we say so",his mother replied firmly.

Well,I was in my friend's house and he was arguing with his mother about what he should choose as his career in the future.He wanted to become an advocate and so,he wanted to join Arts.But,unfortunately his mother wanted him to join Science.

Inevitably,I was dragged in their argument."You tell me,son", his mother looked at me,"what should a person scoring 95% choose to become in future?"

I hesitated."Uh...uh", I managed to stammer.Apparently,I was sandwiched between a friend,who was looking at me expectantly and his mother,who was kind of...glaring at me.

My friend sensed my hesitation."Why are you asking him?It's my life.My career.I should decide what to do and what not to",he told his mother.

"Is this the way you talk to your mother?"she asked him.I looked at them stupidly.

"You aren't big enough to make decisions about your future.It's we who decide about it", his mother told him.

As if the long arguments in my house weren't enough,here I was stuck in another one!

My friend's mother stomped towards the kitchen.He looked at me,helpless and frustrated.I tried to give him a consoling smile (although it didn't quite console him).I felt sorry for him.

I feel that a student should do something that he is actually interested in.That is what he should choose as his career in the future.Unless and until,one is satisfied with his job,he can never do it properly.So,even if a student scoring 95% wishes to join Arts or Commerce,he should be free to do so.His parents shouldn't obstruct him.That's my take on this topic.What's yours?

2 comments:

  1. I ,feel just like your friend has said its his choice ,he should make decisions, not his mom's.
    If a student does something that he does not like he will be unhappy in future.He should follow his dreams and try hard to fulfill it.
    I hope you fulfill your ambition,you do make a good author.Keep up the good work.Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well,Uthara this is just a fictional story...
    And thanx very much for motivating me...
    Keep tuned in for more...

    ReplyDelete